Jared as a setlist

Posted by Cabeza | Posted in | Posted on 7:17 AM

  1. "The Littlest Birds" from Catalpa by Jolie Holland
  2. "Get Rhythm" from The Complete Sun Singles by Johnny Cash
  3. "Blackbird" from The Beatles [The White Album] by The Beatles
  4. "I'm Old Fashioned" from Blue Train by John Coltrane
  5. "Watch the Girl Destroy Me" from Possum Dixon by Possum Dixon
  6. "America" from Bookends by Simon & Garfunkel
  7. "Exquisite Dead Guy" from Factory Showroom by They Might Be Giants
  8. "Great Pumpkin Waltz" from Charlie Brown's Holiday Hits by Vince Guaraldi Trio
  9. "Alleluia" from Choose Something Like a Star composed by Randall Thompson, performed by The Mormon Tabernacle Choir
  10. "Both Sides, Now" from Clouds by Joni Mitchell
  11. "Concorde" from Concorde by The Modern Jazz Quartet
  12. "For the Good of Your Country" from Ride On by Count Basie & His Orchestra
  13. "Belles of Blackville" from The Essential Chieftains by The Chieftains with Bela Fleck
  14. "Dig Me a Hole" from FIREPROOF by Dawn Landes
  15. "The Twist" from The Midnight Organ Fight by Frightened Rabbit
  16. "Better Git It in Your Soul" from Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus
  17. "Yeh Yeh" from Mink Car by They Might Be Giants
  18. "I'm Only Sleeping" from Revolver by The Beatles
  19. "Coffee in the Pot" from Road to Rouen by Supergrass
  20. "Bright Spring Morning" from Rump Shaker by Suburban Legends
  21. "Getting Better" from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles
  22. "Fingertips" from Apollo 18 by They Might Be Giants




David and I were chatting and we determined that we took different takes on this assignment. He composed a setlist to describe his musical self; I tried to make a setlist that described me in general. Kind of fun--I'm hoping to see even more takes.

Hopefully the widget embedded above works for you. Like David, I wasn't able to get any of the Beatles tracks on mine, plus I couldn't find the Randall Thompson "Alleluia," the Count Basie number, or the Chieftains/Bela Fleck collaboration. If you can, find yourself a copy of these tracks and take a listen. Great stuff.

Oh, and a note--the last 20 tracks on the embedded widget are all part of the last song listed on my setlist: "Fingertips." It's a montage piece.

Comments (5)

Hrm. And it appears that the version of "Both Sides, Now" is not the one I wanted. Oh well. You get the point. Check out the original acoustic version from Clouds if you get a chance.

So, why "Concorde"?

That's a good question.

My list is sort of the inverse of Dave's. David chose songs that represent him musically, but also as a bonus might show bits of David himself. I tried to choose songs that described me, but also might as a bonus tell about my musical self.

Concorde is more of a musical self selection. It's one of my favorite jazz pieces. But I think it also speaks to my fascination with ordering things (my bookshelves, my spices in the kitchen, etc.), it being a fugue and all. And a jazz fugue at that.

Why "Fingertips"?

Another good question. When I first started compiling this list, I knew that I was going to need some They Might Be Giants, and this was the first "song" that I thought of. Obviously my list ended up with multiple TMBG selections, but I kept this one for a couple of reasons.

First, I think it's musically brilliant. How many modern rock albums do you find with a montage piece on them? Second, I think it speaks to my personality, even if only tangentially. I often feel kind of all over the place with my interests and my goals and desires and plans. And "Fingertips," if nothing else, is definitely all over the place.

Post a Comment