The Shark as a Setlist

Posted by The Shark | Posted in | Posted on 12:27 PM

  1. "If I Were a Bell" from Guys and Dolls by Josie De Guzman & Peter Gallagher
  2. "I Want To Hold Your Hand" from Mono Masters, vol. 1 by The Beatles
  3. "Stickshifts and Safetybelts" from Fashion Nugget by Cake
  4. "The Promise" from When in Rome by When in Rome
  5. "Shake the Disease" from The Singles 81-85 by Depeche Mode
  6. "47" from Not Without a Fight by New Found Glory
  7. "Is This Love"? from Motorcade of Generosity by Cake
  8. "Walk Like a Man" from Anthology by Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons
  9. "I Fought the Law" from I Fought the Law - Single by Green Day
  10. "I Should Be Allowed to Think" from John Henry by They Might Be Giants
  11. "Pork and Beans" from Weezer (Red Album) by Weezer
  12. "If It Was Up to Me" from Fire the Cannons by Jet Lag Gemini
  13. "California Dreamin'" from The Mamas & The Papas Greatest Hits by The Mamas and the Papas
  14. "We're All Dudes" from Good Burger: Music From the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack by Less Than Jake
  15. "Play It Loud" from Before Everything and After by MXPX
  16. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" from The Beatles (White Album) by The Beatles
  17. "Me and My Shadow" from The Summit: In Concert by Frank Sinatra & Sammy Davis, Jr.
  18. "Forever in Blue Jeans" from 12 Greatest Hits, vol. 2 by Neil Diamond
  19. "Yo No Soy Esa Mujer" from Paulina by Paulina Rubio
  20. "American Anthem" from The War Soundtrack by Norah Jones
  21. "Superman" from Lifes Rich Pageant by R.E.M.
  22. "The Flash (Theme)" by Danny Elfman
  23. "Alternative is Dead" from Suburban Legends by Suburban Legends
  24. "Thank You for Not Moshing" (clean version) from Greatest Hit and More by Reel Big Fish
  25. "In the Middle, In the Middle, In the Middle" from No! by They Might Be Giants
  26. "Good Enough" from Transitions by Westbound Train





My list is more like Jared's, where I tried to pick songs that mostly describe who I am as a person, how I look at life and certain situations, and my tastes/background. It starts out pretty organized, going from the excitement of romance to the awkwardness of it to the reactions of being spurned. Next I go into the ideologies of "sticking it to the man," escapism, embracing rock, and then it sort of falls into an eclectic look at Shark attributes and history. Specifically:

#16 reflects my philosophy on life in general; #17 not only embodies my love for the Sinatra era, but was a number my friend and I sang in high school that won us first place in the school talent show; #18 was my theme song from ages 3 through 8, basically; #19 encapsulates all the Latin music I heard while walking the streets of Dallas on my mission; #20 is the patriot in me; #21 and #22 are my hobby; #23 and #24 are my attitude toward the recent generation of punk/ska enthusiasts; #25 is me resisting the urge to run over pedestrians who think they own the road; #26 is the never-ending search for employment.

As for the embedded player above, a couple notes:
Of course, neither of the two Beatles songs were available. Oddly enough, neither was TMBG's "I Should Be Allowed to Think," which you should look up if you haven't heard. Westbound Train's "Good Enough" is an EXCELLENT, soulful number which deserves everyone's discovery, but alas, also was unavailable. I didn't include Reel Big Fish's "Thank You For Not Moshing" because the only version the widget builder could find was the unedited one. If you can find a cleaned up version, and you enjoy rock concerts, you should listen to this.

Finally, the version of "The Flash" that I have is from the actual T.V. show, not the cover that was recorded sometime later and included in the player.

Comments (5)

I think I only had one big question: why "I Fought the Law"? How does that one fit in?

Goes along with the "sticking it to the man" theme. I actually wanted to use "You Can't Fight City Hall" but I can't find a Rocko's Modern Life soundtrack anywhere.

Depeche Mode. Now, that is some classic listening. This is a great way to get to know a person!

I'll always recall fondly singing "Forever in Blue Jeans" with you and Jenn on the way back from Duck. *sniff*

I think the best thing I can say about your list is that there's at least one memory that I've got of you that fits each song. Oh, y tu eres esa mujer.

Post a Comment