Get on the bus, Gus

Posted by Scrumpestuous D | Posted in | Posted on 12:28 PM

  • "American Girl" from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
  • "Where The Streets Have No Name" from The Joshua Tree by U2
  • "I Get Around" from All Summer Long by The Beach Boys
  • "Rebel Rouser" from Have 'Twangy' Guitar Will Travel by Duane Eddy
  • "She Wolf" from She Wolf by Shakira
  • "Eleanor" from The Turtles Present the Battle of the Bands by The Turtles
  • "Jessica" from Brothers and Sisters by The Allman Brothers Band
  • "Colorado" from A Sky Underground by Paper Bird
  • "Graceland" from Graceland by Paul Simon
  • "When I Go" from When I Go - Single by Slow Club
  • "Skinny Love" from For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver
  • "On and On" from The Sound by Mackintosh Braun
  • "Stepping Stone" from Rockferry by Duffy
  • "Summer Wind" from Strangers in the Night by Frank Sinatra
  • "Jolene" from Jolene by Dolly Parton
  • "Search and Destroy" from Raw Power by The Stooges
  • "Fortunate Son" from Willy and the Poor Boys by Creedence Clearwater Revival
  • "Don't Stop Belevin'" from Escape by Journey
  • "Sexual Healing" from Midnight Love by Marvin Gaye
  • "It's All Too Much" from Yellow Submarine by The Beatles
  • "America" from The Jazz Singer by Neil Diamond
  • "Knight Rider Theme" by Stu Phillips
There's no getting around it, my list is a roadtrip in a nutshell. When picking the songs, I took in to account several factors, including Americana, a sense of movement, sing-a-long-itude, and handshakefulness. OK, so I've been watching a lot of 30 Rock lately. Basically, it starts out as exciting and fun as any roadtrip, with great songs to sing along to and to encourage you to do some speeding, silly pop song of the moment included (this will become the anthem of the trip whether you like it or not). After a few long jams and odes to our nation, the trip transitions into the part where everyone has decided it would be better to sleep than to keep you company (usually around Idaho). Inevitably, you begin to join them, and decide to wake everyone up with some hard hitting stuff, followed by the requisite power ballad. As soon as those two kids in the back seat (you know who you are) begin to display a bit too much affection for a small car, you call on Marvin to embarrass them out of their sinful ways. Once the palate is cleansed, everyone sings along to the guilty pleasure song of the trip that serves to bind the group together with a secret shame, like conspirators in a murder plot as the black Camaro that is your trip fades into the sunset.

Comments (2)

Widget posted. Missing tracks to follow.

I really like the way you orchestrated this. I could see myself on the road, thankful I was riding shotgun instead of having to deal the with all-hands couple in the backseat. "Rebel Rouser" is a great song I had not heard, and I don't think I've ever heard the full version of "Jessica."

No matter how cheesy they are, "Don't Stop Believin'" and "America" always get me pumped. Great for the driving.

Oh, and nice edit on "Colorado." I might just ask you to send me that cut so I don't have to do the same on my own.

Post a Comment