It Is What It Is

Posted by Amanda | Posted in | Posted on 8:31 AM

Alright, friends, here are my guilty pleasures--dunno if any of them are really skeletons in the closet material, though:

  1. Theme from Anne of Green Gables
  2. Indian Outlaw by Tim McGraw
  3. Single Ladies by Beyonce
  4. Just Around the Riverbend from Disney's Pocahontas
  5. The Climb by Miley Cyrus
  6. Take Me or Leave Me from RENT (movie soundtrack)
  7. Love Story by Taylor Swift
  8. A Whole New World from Disney's Aladdin
  9. Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson
  10. Another Day from RENT (movie soundtrack)
  11. Theme from PRide & Prejudice

Some of these, I think, warrant explanation, and some of them don't.

Anne of Green Gables and Pride & Prejudice (along with You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, Little Women, Sense & Sensibility, and Stranger Than Fiction) are the movies I watch most often. I don't know that I'll ever get tired of them. Yes, I know perfectly well their myriad flaws, but that's why they're guilty pleasures!

Indian Outlaw is an awful song. There's good reason why the Native American community did not like it when it first came out. And yet. Here it is in my library, calling to mind some of my favorite high school memories.

Single Ladies, The Climb, Love Story, and Breakaway: No explanation necessary, I think.

As for RENT, the movie: Anthony Rapp, Adam Pascal, Rosario Dawson, Jesse L. Martin, Wilson Jermaine Heredia, Idina Menzel, Tracie Thoms, AND Taye Diggs? Yes please, and thank you.

I have many qualms with Disney movies, but that doesn't mean I don't love watching them and singing along to their soundtracks. Hypocritical? Of course. But sometimes this girl just wants to sing about magic carpet rides and what's next along the river without thinking too hard about things.

Comments (5)

You and I are the only cool people left on this blog.

Boo!

I would say that the Tim McGraw track is definitely a skeleton. Pretty awful. And anything from the Pocahontas soundtrack. But I love Aladdin, so that one's safe.

Oh, man, "Breakaway" would TOTALLY be on my list, too. I really enjoy that song even though it's super trite. I do appreciate that it's just about Kelly's only non-anti-men song, though.

You forget the genius that is "My Life Would Suck Without You."

Post a Comment