Moving Right Along

Posted by The Shark | Posted in | Posted on 10:48 AM

I don't really have a ton of songs that I would call normal road trip/travel tunes, so instead I picked music that always makes me think of specific travels I've made over the course of my life.
  1. "Green River" from Chronicle: 20 Greatest Hits by Creedence Clearwater Revival
  2. "Thunderbird" from The Spine by They Might Be Giants
  3. "The Way You Do the Things You Do" from My Girl: The Very Best of the Temptations by The Temptations
  4. "Endless Love" from Number 1's: Diana Ross & The Supremes by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie
  5. "Hey Jude" from Mono Masters, vol. 2 by The Beatles
  6. "Mr. Roboto" from The Best of Styx by Styx
  7. "The Beatles, pt. 2" from The Very Best of Stars on 45 by Stars on 45
  8. "Take a Letter Maria" from R.B. Greaves by R.B. Greaves
  9. "Your Guts (I Hate 'Em)" from We're Not Happy 'til You're Not Happy by Reel Big Fish
  10. "You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You" from The Summit: In Concert by Frank Sinatra
  11. "The Way You Look Tonight" from My Best Friend's Wedding by Tony Bennett
  12. "I Don't Wanna Be In Love (Dance Floor Anthem)" from Good Morning Revival by Good Charlotte
  13. "I Will Survive" from Fashion Nugget by Cake
  14. "Hi de Ho Man" from The Scat Song by Cab Calloway
Note that the Sinatra recording I have is from their live album as opposed to the studio version in the Grooveshark playlist.

I won't individually label which song reminds me of which trip, but let's just say that among these memories are a trip to CO with Amanda and Baida, my most recent trip to DC, some Duck Beach, and NYC. Enjoy!

Comments (6)

I'm only fairly sure of a few of the travels you're referring to:
1. The fly fishing trip we took with our class on the Green River in Wyoming.
4. Driving me to the airport when I left for London.
7. Every Gillins family roadtrip ever.
9. Duck Beach 2009.
10. Driving from Renton to American Fork with the fridge in 2001, just after my mission.

Did I get those right? Are there others I should recognize?

You got 'em all right, except #10 actually makes me think more of when I was working the swing shift at Microsoft after Mom and Dad moved to Utah and I would spend two hours walking from Redmond to Michael Beazer's house at 1 AM, listening to the Rat Pack and singing/dancing the whole way. I think that's the only song on the list that references local travel.

#14 is from the most recent trip to DC. And #5 is a specific memory from a family road trip, though I'm not sure which one. I just remember really clearly lying on the floor of the van and counting how many "na na na na"'s there were.

Is #8 memories of NYC?

You knows it!

Pretty great list (other than the Sinatra track that I didn't like too much). Both the Cake song and Mr. Roboto are making me miss Jeffster.

Shark wins the prize for the most F-words in a post: two.

Dave just had half of one.

Post a Comment