Dr. Dave's Cure-All

Posted by Scrumpestuous D | Posted in | Posted on 4:18 PM

I'm not going to lie, this was one challenging list. I'll explain myself at the bottom.
  1. "Amazing Grace" from The Gang's All Here by Dropkick Murphys
  2. "Rock and Roll" from Led Zeppelin IV by Led Zeppelin
  3. "Hanging on the Telephone" from Parallel Lines by Blondie
  4. "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces" from Whatever & Ever Amen by Ben Folds Five
  5. "Tessie" from Tessie - EP by Dropkick Murphys
  6. "The Distance" from Fashion Nugget by Cake
  7. "Sinnerman" from Pastel Blues by Nina Simone
  8. "Country Mile" from Let's Get Out of This Country by Camera Obscura
  9. "Waterloo Sunset" from Something Else by the Kinks by The Kinks
  10. "Beast of Burden" from Some Girls by The Rolling Stones
  11. "These Days" from Chelsea Girl by Nico
  12. "Linger" from Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? by The Cranberries
  13. "I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You" from Transcendental Highway by Colin Hay
  14. "No Woman No Cry" from Legend by Bob Marley & The Wailers
  15. "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" from Hatful of Hollow by The Smiths
  16. "Whole Wide World" from Wreckless Eric by Wreckless Eric
  17. "My Lament" from Evanescence by The Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra
  18. "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op. 43: Variation XVIII: Andante Cantabile" from Rachmaninov: Rhapsody On a Theme of Paganini composed by Sergei Rachmaninoff and preformed by The Chicago Symphony Orchestra, dir. Arthur Rubinstein
  19. "Here Comes the Sun" from Abbey Road by The Beatles
  20. "Buonanotte Fiorellino" from Rimmel by Francesco De Gregori
So, when it comes to music helping me through the hard times there are mainly two ways it works - either by letting me live vicariously through it, or by calming me and helping me to clear my mind. When I'm in the mood for one form of treatment, I'm usually not in the other, but in this list I've tried to make them play nicely. It shouldn't be hard to figure out where I'm going in this list - get the bad feelings out, hit the inevitable post-rockout crash, and clear my mind. It even ends on a happy note. Consider it therapy on a disc. More notes in the comments.

Comments (1)

OK, so some individual notes on this list:

#3 - I really like this whole album.
#5 - With so many other things I could have included it was tough for me to add the only two Dropkick Murphys songs I own, but they work so well for this theme, and this one combines sing-a-lonfulness and baseball, combining two things I happen to love.
#7 - I know it's long, but give it a listen. Nina Simone was amazing.
#12 - The first note drops and I'm instantly transported back home. It's kind of like musical comfort food for me.
#17 - I love how lyrical this song is and how, despite all the melancholy it evokes, it ends on a hopeful note, like no matter what, everything is going to be alright.
#19 - A repeat from my first list, but a worthy one. One of my all time favorite "Hey, it's going to be OK" songs.
#20 - Picked up on this from roommates who served missions in Rome. Such a great little happy tune.

Post a Comment