NYC is fine with me

Posted by Scrumpestuous D | Posted in | Posted on 11:11 AM

Sorry about the late post, but at least I got it in...
  1. "City of Blinding Lights" from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb by U2
  2. "Two Weeks" from Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear
  3. "Empire State of Mind (feat. Alicia Keys)" from The Blueprint 3 by Jay-Z
  4. "New York, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down" from Sound of Silver by LCD Soundsystem
  5. "Manhattan" from Once Upon a Summertime by Blossom Dearie
  6. "When I Fall in Love" from Portrait in Jazz by the Bill Evans Trio
  7. "New York City (Radio Edit)" from New York City by Norah Jones & The Peter Malick Group
  8. "I'm Waiting For The Man" from The Velvet Underground & Nico by The Velvet Underground
  9. "Pretty Baby" from Parallel Lines by Blondie
  10. "Judy is a Punk" from Ramones by The Ramones
  11. "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head" from They Might Be Giants by They Might Be Giants
  12. "Digital Love" from Discovery by Daft Punk
  13. "The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) from The Empire Strikes Back by John Williams
  14. "Rhapsody in Blue" from Gershwin: Rhapsody In Blue/An American In Paris by George Gershwin, perf. Leonard Bernstein & The Columbia Symphony Orchestra
  15. "Theme from New York, New York" from Trilogy: Past Present Future by Frank Sinatra
  16. "The Only Living Boy in New York" from Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkel
  17. "Seattle" from Seattle by Perry Como


Notes in the comments.

Comments (2)

#1 kind of encompasses all the grandeur that is NYC when you first fly in, or start to live here, which I only occasionally manage to glimpse now. Sad.
#3 - Hey Jay-Z. We get it. Without the super catchy Alicia Keys driven chorus this is nothing but another song where you try to impress us with your narcissism. It's getting old.
#4&5 speak to the love/hate relationship I think most people who live in NYC have with it, and how quickly you can flip from one to the other.
#6 is representative of all the great Jazz clubs that were part of the reason I moved.
#7 - more of the love/hate thing.
#8-10 reminding me to keep things real and let loose once in a while.
#11 is probably the most New York-y TMBG song for me, if only because I can see where they filmed it from my apartment (granted, it's really tiny from there)
#12 is Summer in NYC
#13 'effing Yankees.
#14 this one conjures up so many great images for me.
#15 & #16 are like the "big" aspects and the "small" aspects of the city for me, with the "small" usually winning out
#17 And as much as I like the place where I live now, my heart will always be where the you can see the bluest skies you've ever seen.

Love it, Dave-O! Thanks for including #3. :)

Post a Comment