Yeah, duck and cover

Posted by Cabeza | Posted in | Posted on 8:01 PM

  1. "Across the Universe" from the Pleasantville soundtrack by Fiona Apple (The Beatles)
  2. "It Ain't Me Babe" from It Ain't Me Babe by The Turtles (Bob Dylan)
  3. "The Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo) from Mighty Quinn by Manfred Mann (Bob Dylan)
  4. "A Whiter Shade of Pale" from Medusa by Annie Lennox (Procol Harum)
  5. "Astral Weeks" from various concerts by The Swell Season (Van Morrison)
  6. "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town" from b-sides and rarities by Cake (Kenny Rogers)
  7. "Frankie & Johnny" from A Prairie Home Companion by Lindsay Lohan (traditional)
  8. "How Can I Keep from Singing?" from Shepherd Moons by Enya (Shaker hymn)
  9. "Take Me Home Country Road" from Facing Future by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (John Denver)
  10. "Tiger Mountain Peasant Song" from YouTube by First Aid Kit (Fleet Foxes)
  11. "Young Folks" from Young Folks by Dawn Landes (Peter Bjorn and John)
  12. "Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)" from Raising Sand by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss (The Everly Brothers)
  13. "Dedicated to the One I Love" from Deliver by The Mamas and the Papas (The Shirelles (who covered it off of The "5" Royales))
  14. "Honky Tonk Women" from Blue Light Boogie by Taj Mahal with James Cotton (The Rolling Stones)
  15. "Tiny Dancer" from Ben Folds Live by Ben Folds (Elton John)
  16. "A.C.D.C" from Sinner by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (Sweet)
  17. "On the Outside" from Dead Band's Party by Suburban Legends (Oingo Boingo)
  18. "Major Tom (Coming Home)" from On the Cover II by MXPX (Peter Schilling)
  19. "There Is Nothing Like a Dame" from Vacationing in Palm Springs by Reel Big Fish (South Pacific)
  20. "She's an Angel" from The Bruce Lee Band by The Bruce Lee Band (They Might Be Giants)

Like Shark, one of these songs is actually not in my library--but it would be if I could get it. I saw The Swell Season recently and Glen Hansard's amazing strumming on "Astral Weeks" blew all of us away. I've embedded a video below the playlist. I also couldn't find Dawn Landes' cover of "Young Folks" on Grooveshark, but I figured that instead of uploading it I'd let you all watch the video she put up on YouTube, which features some delightful old gentlemen. Oh, and you can find the First Aid Kit song on YouTube, but someone happened to put it in Grooveshark too, so I put it in the widget for your convenience and pleasure.



Comments (4)

Holy amazing guitar strumming Batman! That was incredible!!

OK, here's my thoughts:
#4: Great voice for the song, but I'm not thrilled with the synth backing.
#7 is the best thing LL will do. Ever.
#12: I know I need to listen to this album. That track was really great.
#14: So that's what Mick Jagger was saying. Awesome cover.
#19: Nice Disco moment.

This comment has been removed by the author.

When I was compiling the list I overlooked an awesome cover in my collection. Adding it now would require me to not be lazy and it would put my list slightly over the time limit, so I'll just give it an "honorable mention" here:

"Ring of Fire" from Love Country Style by Ray Charles (Johnny Cash)

Post a Comment